- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington, 2011
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington, 2008
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Inha University, 2003
Dr. Yeo is a Woodruff Faculty Fellow, Associate Professor in the Mechanical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering, and the Director of the Center for Human-Centric Interfaces and Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology. His research focuses on the areas of nano-/microengineering, advanced soft materials, molecular interactions, and bio-electromechanical systems, with an emphasis on stretchable hybrid electronics. Dr. Yeo received his PhD in mechanical engineering at the University of Washington, Seattle in 2011. From 2011-2013, he worked as a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Dr. Yeo has published over 100 peer-reviewed articles, including many in top-quality journals, including Nature Machine Intelligence, Nature Materials, Nature Communications, and Science Advances. Dr. Yeo is an IEEE Senior Member and a recipient of a number of awards, including the IEEE Outstanding Engineer Award, Imlay Innovation Award, Lucy G. Moses Lectureship Award - Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Sensors Young Investigator Award, American Heart Association Innovative Project Award, and Outstanding Yonsei Scholar Award.
- Soft Robotics and Human-Machine Interfaces
- Smart Machine Intelligence and Deep Learning
- Soft Electronics for Health Monitoring and Disease Diagnosis
- Nanomembrane Implantable Electronics for Therapeutics
- High-throughput Fabrication of Micro/Nano-structures
- Nano-Biosensors for Disease Diagnostics
- Sensors and Actuators for Radiotherapy
Distinctions and Awards
- 1st Place Award, SharQ Tank Innovation Competition, Global Center for Medical Innovation, 2021.
- Outstanding Engineer Award, 2021 IEEE Atlanta Section Award, 2021.
- Imlay Innovation Award, Imlay Foundation, 2021.
- 3rd Place Award, International First Poster Competition on Materials Science, MDPI, 2020.
- 1st Place Presentation Award, Seoul City Forum, US-Korea Conference, 2020.
- 2nd Place Award, Micromachines Young Investigator Award, 2020.
- Lucy G. Moses Lectureship in Medical Imaging and Bioengineering, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, 2020.
- Medtronic Design Competition Award, Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting, 2020.
- Sensors Young Investigator Award, Sensors, 2020.
- IEEE Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2019.
- AHA Innovative Project Award, American Heart Association (AHA), 2019.
- Yonsei Outstanding Scholar Award, Yonsei Frontier Program at Yonsei University, 2019.
- Advanced Materials Non-Tenure Faculty Award, Hanwha Q Cells and Advanced Materials, 2019.
- M. Mahmood, S. Kwon, H. Kim, Y. Kim, P. Siriaraya, J. Choi, B. Otkhmezuri, K. Kang, K. Yu, Y. Jang, C. Ang, and W. H. Yeo*, "Wireless Soft Scalp Electronics and Virtual Reality System for Motor Imagery-based Brain-Machine Interfaces", Advanced Science, 2101129, 2021.
- H. Kim, Y. Kwon, C. Zhu, F. Wu, S. Kwon, W. H. Yeo*, and H. Choo*, "Real-time functional assay of volumetric muscle loss injured mouse masseter muscles via nanomembrane electronics", Advanced Science, 2101037, 2021.
- Y. Kwon, Y. Kim, S. Kwon, M. Mahmood, H. Lim, S. Park, S. Kang, J. Choi, R. Herbert, Y. Jang, Y. Choa, and W. H. Yeo*, "All-printed nanomembrane wireless bioelectronics using a biocompatible solderable graphene for multimodal human-machine interfaces", Nature Communications, 11:3450, 2020.
- S. Mishra, Y. Kim, J. Intarasirisawat, Y. Kwon, Y. Lee, M. Mahmood, H. Lim, R. Herbert, K. Yu, C. Ang, and W. H. Yeo*, "Soft, wireless periocular wearable electronics for real-time detection of eye vergence in a virtual reality toward mobile eye therapies", Science Advances, 6 (11), eaay1729, 2020.
- H. Kim, Y. Kim, M. Mahmood, S. Kwon, N. Zavanelli, H. Kim, F. Epps, Y. Rim, and W. H. Yeo*, "Fully integrated, stretchable, wireless skin-conformal bioelectronics for continuous stress monitoring in daily life", Advanced Science, 7, 2000810, 2020.
- . Byun, J. Sim, Z. Zhou, J. Lee, R. Qazi, K. Parker, M. Haney, S. Choi, A. Shon, J. Bilbily, S. Li, Y. Liu, W. H. Yeo, J. McCall, J. Xiao, and J. Jeong, "Mechanically Transformative Electronics, Sensors, and Implantable Devices", Science Advances, 5, eaay0418, 2019.
- M. Mahmood, D. Mzurikwao, Y. Kim, Y. Lee, S. Mishra, R. Herbert, A. Duarte, C. Ang, and W. H. Yeo*, "Fully portable and wireless universal brain-machine interfaces enabled by flexible scalp electronics and deep-learning algorithm", Nature Machine Intelligence, 1, 412, 2019.
- R. Herbert, S. Mishra, H. Lim, H. Yoo, and W. H. Yeo*, "Fully Printed, Wireless, Stretchable Implantable Biosystem toward Batteryless, Real‐Time Monitoring of Cerebral Aneurysm Hemodynamics", Advanced Science, 6 (18), 1901034, 2019.
- Y. Kim, M. Mahmood, Y. Lee, N. Kim, S. Kwon, R. Herbert, D. Kim, H. Cho, and W. H. Yeo*, "All‐in‐One, Wireless, Stretchable Hybrid Electronics for Smart, Connected, and Ambulatory Physiological Monitoring", Advanced Science, 6 (17), 1900939, 2019.
- Y. Lee, C. Howe, S. Mishra, D. Lee, M. Mahmood, M. Piper, Y. Kim, K. Tieu, H. Byun, J. Coffey, M. Shayan, Y. Chun, R. Costanzo, and W. H. Yeo*, “Wireless, Intraoral Hybrid Electronics for Real-Time Quantification of Sodium Intake Toward Hypertension Management", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 115 (21), 5377, 2018.