- Tsinghua University, B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, 1999
- Tsinghua University, M.S. in Chemistry, 2002
- Stony Brook University, Ph.D. in Chemistry, 2009
The research in Chen group is cross-disciplinary, bridging up mechanical engineering, chemistry and materials science, focusing on electrochemical energy storage related materials and devices, as well as functional and structural metals/alloys. The technical expertise of the group include development and application of advance in situ characterization methods for energy storage devices, computation-aided materials design and novel synthesis methods for nanostructured materials.
Research Area 1:
The experimental methodologies for “Materials by Design” (e.g. the Materials Genome approach), including high-throughput synthesis and in situ XRD for synthesis.
1. Xiong S, He XF, Han AJ, Liu ZT, Ren ZS, McElhenny B, Nolan AM, Chen S, Mo YF, Chen HL. Computation Guided Design of LiTaSiO5, a New Lithium Ionic Conductor with Sphene Structure. Advanced Energy Materials (2019)
2. Chen HL, Hautier G, Ceder G. Synthesis, computed stability and structure of a new class of inorganic compounds: carbonophosphates. Journal of the American Chemical Society. (2012)
Research Area 2:
Research Area 3:
Research Area 4:
- Award for Excellence in Doctoral Research, SUNY-Stony Brook, 2009
- Sigma Xi Award for Excellence in Research, 2008
(please see google scholar page for full publication list)
- Xiong S, He XF, Han AJ^, Liu ZT, Ren ZS, McElhenny B, Nolan AM, Chen S#, Mo YF#, Chen HL#. Computation Guided Design of LiTaSiO5, a New Lithium Ionic Conductor with Sphene Structure. In press, Advanced Energy Materials(2019)
- Yang LF, Li X, Liu J, Ma XT, Xiong S, Liu P, Bai JM, Xu WQ, Tang YT, Hu YY, Liu ML and Chen HL#. Lithium-doping stabilized high-performance P2-Na0.66Li0.18Fe0.12Mn0.7O2 cathode for sodium ion batteries. In press, Journal of the American Chemical Society(2019)
- Ma XT, Liu ZT and Chen HL# Facile and Scalable Electrodeposition of Copper Current Collectors for High-Performance Li-metal Batteries, Nano Energy. 59 (5), p500-507, 2019.
- Ma XT, Nolan AM, Zhang S, Bai JM, Xu WQ, Wu LJ, Mo YF# and Chen HL#. Guiding Synthesis of Polymorphs of Materials Using Nanometric Phase Diagrams. (2018), 140, (49) p17290-17296, Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- Zheng GR, Xiang YX, Xu LF, Luo H, Wang BL, Liu Y, Han X, Zhao WM, Chen SJ, Chen HL, Zhang QB, Zhu T and Yang Y, Controlling Surface Oxides in Si/C Nanocomposite Anodes for High‐Performance Li‐Ion Batteries. Advanced Energy Materials. (8) 29, 1801718,2018
- Xiong S, Liu ZT, Rong HB and Chen HL#, Na3SbSe4–xSx as Sodium Superionic Conductors. Scientific Reports, 9146 (2018)
- Yang LF, Li X, Ma XT, Xiong S, Liu P, Tang YT, Cheng S, Hu YY, Liu ML and Chen HL#. Design of High-Performance Cathode Materials with Single-Phase Pathway for Sodium Ion Batteries: A Study on P2-Nax(LiyMn1-y)O2 Compounds. Journal of Power Sources, 2018, 383(3), 171-180
- Bai Q, Yang LF, Chen HL# and Mo YF# Computational Studies of Electrode Materials in Sodium-Ion Batteries, Advanced Energy Materials (Invited Review Article). (8) 1702998, 2018
- Ma X, Bai JM, An K, and Chen HL#, NaAlTi3O8, A Novel Anode Material for Sodium Ion Battery, Scientific Reports, 7(162) 2017
- Boebinger MG, Xu M, Ma X, Chen HL, Unocicc RR and McDowell MT. Distinct Nanoscale Reaction Pathways in a Sulfide Material for Sodium and Lithium Batteries. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2017, (5) 11701
- Liu L, Li X, Bo SH, Wang Y, Chen HL, Twu N, Wu D, Ceder G. High‐Performance P2‐Type Na2/3(Mn1/2Fe1/4Co1/4)O2 Cathode Material with Superior Rate Capability for Na‐Ion Batteries. Advanced Energy Materials. 2015, 5, 1500944.
- Kim JC, Seo DH, Chen HL and Gerbrand Ceder. The Effect of Antisite Disorder and Particle Size on Li Intercalation Kinetics in Monoclinic LiMnBO3. Advanced Energy Materials, 5 (8), 1401916 (2015)
- Li X, Ma XH, Su D, Liu L, Chisnel R, Ong SP, Chen HL, Toumar A, Idrobo, JC, Lei YC, Bai JM, Wang F, Lynn J, Young, L, Ceder G. Direct Visualization of the Jahn-Teller Effect Coupled to Na Ordering in Na5/8MnO2, Nature Materials. 2014, 13, 586-592.
- Chen HL, Hao Q, Zivkovic O, Geoffroy Hautier, Du LS, Grey CP and Ceder G. Sidorenkite, a new intercalation compound as cathode materials for Na-ion batteries. Chemistry of Materials. 2013, 25 (14), 2777-2786.
- Chen HL, Hautier G, Ceder G. Synthesis, computed stability and structure of a new class of inorganic compounds: carbonophosphates. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2012, 134 (48), 19619-19627.
- Chen HL, Hautier G, Jain A, Kang B, Doe R, Wu LJ, Zhu YM, Tang YZ, Ceder G. A new class of cathode materials for lithium ion batteries identified computationally. Chemistry of Materials. 2012, 24 (11), 2009-2016.
- Danna Q, Hinoma Y, Chen HL, Du LS, Grey CP, Ceder G, Meng YS. Electronic spin transition in nano-size stoichiometric lithium cobalt oxide. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2012, 136 (14), 6096-6099.
- Chen HL, Wu L, Zhang L, Zhu Y, Grey CP. LiCoO2 Concaved cuboctahedrons from symmetry-controlled topological reactions. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2011, 133 (2), 262-270.
- Bhattacharyya B, Key B, Chen HL, Best AS, Hollenkamp AF, Grey CP. In situ NMR observation of the formation of metallic lithium microstructures in lithium batteries. Nature Materials, 2010, 9 (6), 504-510.
- Chen HL, Grey CP. Molten salt synthesis and high rate performance of the “Desert-Rose” form of LiCoO2, Advanced Materials. 2008, 20 (11), 2206-2210. (Featured inside front cover article)
- Grey CP and Chen HL. Lithium battery electrode and method for manufacture of same. USPC Class: 42923195
- Ceder G, Chen HL, Hautier G et al. Carbonophosphate and related compounds. PCT2011/025684